The weather is warming up in DFW so now is the perfect time to dust off your cardio gear and get some outdoor exercise! Exercising outdoors is one the best things you can do for your body. It gives your body much-needed fresh air and vitamin D, especially if you work in an office all day.
Cardio workouts benefit your heart, brain, joints, and muscles regardless of age, weight, or athletic ability. Cardio helps you lose weight, increase your strength and stamina, strengthens your heart, clears your arteries, and can keep illness away. Just 30-45 minutes of brisk walking daily gives your body what you need.
Here are some local suggestions on how to get in a fun cardio workout outside in the Dallas/Fort Worth area:
Hiking is a good way to not only get physical exercise but also improve your mental health.
- Arbor Hills Nature Center in Plano
- Cedar Ridge Preserve in Cedar Hill
- Eagle Mountain Park in Fort Worth
- North Shore Trail at Grapevine Lake
- Oak Cliff Nature Preserve
- Trinity River Audubon Center in South Dallas
You always hear the benefits of running, but jogging and walking are just as good for you!
- Turtle Creek Park
- Katy Trail
- Trinity Skyline Trail
- Vitruvian Park
Getting on a bike improves joint mobility, posture, muscle, and bone strength.
- Lake Carolyn Trail – 3 mi
- Frisco Mountain Bike Trail – 8 mi
- White Rock Lake – 9 mi
- River Legacy Park in Arlington – 10 mi
- Northshore Trail in Flower Mound – 23 mi
Swimming helps keep you lean, strengthens your lungs, improves heart health and brain power, AND can help you sleep!
- Bachman Indoor Pool
- Duncanville Natatorium
- Robson & Lindley Aquatics Center at SMU
- White Rock YMCA
Kayaking and rowing improve the strength of your back, arms, shoulders, and chest.
- Lake Lewisville
- Lake Arlington
- Joe Pool Lake
- Lake Ray Hubbard
If you think cardio on a solid surface is hard, try it in the sand! Grab some friends and play a game of beach volleyball to burn calories, improve hand-eye coordination, and tone your muscles.
- Kiest Park Rec Center
- Lake Highlands North Rec Center
- Sports Garden in Coppell
- Lakeside Park in Duncanville