10 Realistic Self-Care Practices for 2022
Published: 12-27-2021 | 1 MIN READ | Author: Prism Health North Texas
If you are a perfectionist, feel anxiety, or depression, wellness can sometimes feel like an incredibly overwhelming chore. Wellness sources like magazines, Instagram posts, web articles, etc., provide ever growing lists of things you “need” to do to be at your “best” physically, emotionally, and mentally. The mounting pressure to find and do all the things that are best for your wellness sometimes feel counterproductive. Why do we stress about making ourselves feel less stressed?
Self-care is for you and only you. Get honest and flexible with what makes your body, mind, and spirit feel at peace. Write down those things so, when you’re in doubt, you have something to help you remember what makes you feel loved. Today your self-care may just include drinking water and eating food. Tomorrow you may want to do more, or not, and that’s okay! There is no timeline, no deadline, just life and your ability to get through it.
Here are some super easy and adaptable self-care practices that may help you find that peace:
- Body Scan: Upon waking up, instead of checking your phone for updates, do a quick body scan to see how you’re feeling from head to toe, inside and out. Feel any anxiety, stress, happiness, sadness, or joy? Take note so these feelings don’t sneak up on you later in the day.
- Journaling: With all the overwhelming feelings that are happening to us and those we love, writing down those feelings can be a great way to release and seek understanding.
- Body Movement: Ask your body what it needs – Yoga? A walk or bike ride? Hula hooping outside in the sunshine and fresh air? Whatever you decide, do it until your body releases its tension. Some days you can push yourself, some days you can’t and shouldn’t. You get to decide.
- Mediation: Set some time aside to just be present in the day and in your body. Don’t know how to? There are tons of apps, websites, and books to teach you. Even if you can’t find the time for 10-minutes of mediation, you can take a few seconds throughout your day to close your eyes and take some deep, belly-breaths.
- Dance: Put on a song that sparks so much joy and happiness that you cannot sit still!
On days when everything feels like too much, here are 5 more things that may help:
- Drink water.
- Eat food.
- Give yourself an orgasm.
- Watch trash TV.
Try out some of these things. If you like them, keep them. If you hate them, ditch them. Just remember to do whatever you need for you. Allow yourself to be flexible and treat yourself with love.